Contact us

An A to Z of topics with contact details for specific Food Standards Agency staff working in that area.

Popular contacts

General enquiries and switchboard
Helpline: general enquiries Monday to Friday 9.30-16.00
tel: 020 7276 8829
Starting a food business Starting up
Report a food problem Consumers
Business and enforcers
Report a food crime Food Crime Confidential
Monday to Friday 8.00-17.00
tel: 020 7276 8787
Press office (media enquiries only) tel: 020 7276 8888
Switchboard tel: 020 7276 8000

For nutrition advice in England and Wales, call the Department of Health customer service centre: 020 7210 4850.

For food labelling enquiries, please phone the Defra helpline on 03459 33 55 77 or email

Out of hours contact details
Incidents tel: 020 7276 8448
Journalist enquiries

For out of hours urgent media enquiries only: send a text message to 07507 309 584. 

Please note you can not call this number. 

In the body of the text message please leave: your phone number, name, organisation, summary of your request 



See Process contaminants

Advisory Committee on Novel Foods and Processes (ACNFP)

For advice on the novel status of a food please use the novelfoods email address.

Approval of local authority controlled establishments under EU Regulations

Approvals admin team

Notifications of new approvals and updates to approvals (including withdrawals).

Room 112 Foss House Kings Pool
Peasholme Green
York YO1 7PR

01904 232060 01904

Approval of meat establishments with veterinary attendance

Approvals admin team

Notifications of new approvals and updates to approvals (including withdrawals).

Room 112 Foss House Kings Pool
Peasholme Green
York YO1 7PR

01904 232060 01904




If you have a complaint about a food product or a food business (i.e. food poisoning from a takeaway/restaurant; quality of food or; unidentifiable object in your food), you can use our Report a food problem service

For complaints about the Food Standards Agency only:

Complaints co-ordinator: Noel Sykes

Food Standards Agency
Correspondence, Openness and Parliamentary Branch
2C Aviation House
125 Kingsway
London WC2B 6NH



Dairy hygiene

Businesses inspected by local authorities

Contact your local authority in the first instance.

Date marking

Policy on 'best before' and 'use by' dates: see 'Labelling'


Edible co-products including offal

Parts of animals other than meat from the carcass that are intended for human consumption and products derived from these including offal (including livers, kidneys, stomachs, bladders, greaves), collagen and gelatine.

European Union (EU)

For queries relating to specific EU policy or regulations, contact the appropriate policy area or look under H for helpline.


Fish and shellfish

Food business operators' enquiries
Contact your local authority in the first instance.

Food & Feed incidents/Environmental Contamination Incidents/Food & Feed Alerts

Point of contact for food and feed incidents; Technical support for local authorities; operates Food Alert system; UK competent authority for Rapid Alert System for Food and Feed (RASFF)

Out of hours 24 hour contact

020 7276 8448

Food business start-up

If you are thinking about starting a business, visit our starting up page.

Food safety law

If you are setting up a new food business, please contact your Local Authority Environmental Health Officer. For specific areas of food law, see contacts below.

Freedom of information (FOI)

To make a request for information under the FOI Act or the Environmental Information Regulations, please use the contacts below.  Information on how to make a request is available on the Freedom of Information page.



See 'Collagen and Gelatine'


Hygiene legislation

See also 'Food hygiene'
For specific foods, see those headings elsewhere in the list.

Catering and retail: Please contact your local authority in the first instance
Find local authority contact details




For food labelling enquiries, please phone Defra helpline on 03459 33 55 77 or email

For nutrition labelling enquiries, please contact the Department of Health online.

Labelling - enforcement
Liaison with local authorities and other government departments on enforcement issues. Please contact your regional team for advice in the first instance or use Knowledge Hub. To find contact details, check our local authority postcode search facility.

Wine labelling - see 'Wine' below.

Local authorities

Local authority delivery of official controls:

Complaints about local authority delivery should first be pursued through the local authority's own complaints procedure. Find a food safety team


Mail order and online selling

If you are setting up a new mail order/online food business, please contact your local authority environmental health officer.

Meat fraud

(see Local authorities and Food crime)

Meat products

Food hygiene policy issues for meat products, minced meat, meat preparations and mechanically separated meat plants.

Media enquiries

See 'Press office'

Milk hygiene

See Dairy hygiene


Novel foods and novel food applications

To report an unauthorised novel food please contact your local authority in the first instance.




Parliamentary and Ministerial correspondence unit

Parliamentary business; co-ordination of replies to Ministerial correspondence and distribution of Treat Official correspondence; honours and public appointments.

Press office

tel: 020 7276 8888
Out of hours pager: 07623 978 344





Scores on the Doors

See 'Food Hygiene Rating Scheme'


See 'Fish and Shellfish'


See 'Procurement'



See 'Procurement'




Speak confidentially to a member of staff

020 7276 8712